[pyrnet] HEALTH, CHAT: Clondike at the Bridge

With great sadness I have to report we had to have Clondike euthanized
Thursday night.  She went very peacefully in a room full of sobbing
humans, knowing she was loved.

Clondike was a Great Pyrenees who lived to be 13.25 years old, well past
the average life expectancy for her breed.  She was diagnosed with
canine lymphoma in May of 1998 and was treated with both chemotherapy and
various holistic therapies including a traditional Chinese herbal
protocol.  She expereinced some terrible (and uncharacteristic) chemo
reactions, but managed 3 remissions, the last one of more than 20 months
at the time of her death.

A week ago Thursday her arthritis got so bad she lost the ability to
walk, even on Etogesic.  Sunday night she began spitting up blood,
probably from an ulcer caused by the arthritis meds.

Monday (in a snow storm) we took her in to get her on steroids to see if
we could get her back to walking.  They did an x-ray that was essentially
normal, so while she may not have been cancer-free, cancer was not the
primary cause of her decline.  Basically she just wore out, but she had a
long life which she thoroughly enjoyed.

Please check out the memorial page I created for her at:

http://www.pyrbred.org/memclond

We want to thank everyone for their kind thoughts, prayers and
support.  It has meant more than we can ever tell you!  Clondike touched
an incredible number of people, and we feel honored to have been
associated with her for so long.  She will be missed!

Hugs to all,

David, Nancy and angel Clondike

 David Kintsfather, Ph.D.       | PHONE:       (610) 683-4497
 Prof. of Telecommunications    | FAX:         (610) 683-4659
 Kutztown University            | E-MAIL:      kintsfat@kutztown.edu
 PO Box 730                     | "We need not think alike to love alike."
 Kutztown, PA  19530-0730       |              Francis David