[pyrnet] CHAT, RESCUE: Liza comes to stay

Well, I have a rescue Pyr living with me and my gang for a while.  Rescues
are not that common here in Australia and the state poor little Liza was in
is even less common.  Poor baby.  She was terribly matted.  Her coat was
like armour plating.  And under that armour plating were hundreds of grass
seeds.  I don't think there was one inch of her skin that did not have a
grass seed festering in it.  The grass seeds were so embedded in her chest
that she has huge abcesses covering it.  The vet thought she hadn't eaten in
about 6 to 8 weeks and she had a patch of mange on her leg.

Liza now has no coat at all (gawd those bare tails look funny!) and after
hours of painful pulling most of the grass seeds have been removed.  When
she gained enough strength, her chest was operated on to remove all the gunk
and seeds and other debris in her chest (took 2 hours).   She is a much
happier girl than she was a few weeks ago (she can trot around and play now)
although she still has quite a long way to go.

Liza is getting on famously with the dogs here (so far) and is a total
sweetie.  She discovered my dam thisafternoon and just loves wading in the
water.  We think she is about 2 years old although that is hard to tell.
She looked about 8 when she was brought in.

Hopefully when she is a bit better we will be able to find her a home that
will give her as much care and love as she deserves.

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au
visit my webpage at http://members.dynamite.com.au/espinay/index.htm