[pyrnet] The Westminster Experience Part1

McKee got here at 1:50 PM on Sunday to pick me up. she came in,
said hello to Bo and Chelsea, and by about 2:15 PM we were on our
way to pick up Dianne. We got to Dianne's at about 2:45, loaded
her stuff in the van and off we went! The trip was pretty
uneventful until exiting the Lincoln Tunnel. NYC traffic is the
pits! We missed the turn onto 7th Ave. for the Hotel
Pennsylvania, (Dianne was not paying attention to the street
signs) and had to circle back around. That took about 45 mins.
extra. There were no open parking spots in front of the hotel, so
we had to double park. The doorman called for someone to come
take the van to the parking garage, and we unloaded the stuff
that had to go to the "Garden" and got it all on the crate dolly.
It was freezing out there! By this time, it was dark and the wind
was whipping down the street inbetween the buildings. Dianne was
going to come with me to help, so I crossed 7th to wait for her.
The last time I saw her she was out of the passeger side in the
front leaning in to get something. When I looked back, she was
nowhere to be found. I waited what seemed like an eternity
(probably only about 5 mins. in reality) and decided to just go
ahead and follow someone else who was walking by with gear for
the show. I followed them into the loading dock for the "Garden"
and around a corner and up a ramp. There were 2 dogs in crates
that were being loaded onto a pallet to be taken up to the
grooming and benching area by a forklift. One was a Pyr, the
other a Mastiff. The Pyr looked very much like the one that was
seen with his head in the window of the Limo. Anyway, I made my
way to the service elevator and up we went. Again I followed
those who knew where they were going and ended up in what was to
be the grooming area, at which point I was informed that grooming
could not be set up until 5 AM the next morning. So, I figured,
"OK, I'll just take this to the benching area and leave it
there!" Lo and behold, there, sitting at the table, signing
people in, (I think) was McKee's handler. So, I just left the
stuff with him, took the crate dolly, (for which I needed an
authorization ticket to be able to remove it) and made my way
back down to the street. All of this probably took about an hour
I guess. I headed back to the hotel, looking forward to getting
inside out of the wind, and who do I see standing out front?
Dianne. She was still waiting for the Van to be taken to be
parked. Evidently she had to drive around for a little while to
avoid getting a ticket for double parking. So, I went inside to
find McKee, and Jackie the Pyr. I found them in the Lobby heading
for the service elevators with a bell hop. I waited there with
them for a while, (there was a long line ahead of them) then got
the room keys for Dianne and myself, and headed back out front.
Dianne was frozen and I was 1/2 frozen. Finally, 2 hours after we
had arrived, the Van was picked up and taken to the parking
garage. We popped into Dunkin donuts right next to hte hotel, got
coffee, and headed upstairs. Well, we headed to the elevators,
anyway. More waiting and waiting for an elevator with some room
in it. We finally got to our room. More in Part 2.

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com