[pyrnet] The Westminster Experience Part 4

In case you're wondering, I'm recording Westminster. I generally
only watch the Working Group and Best in Show while it's actually
on. This way I can FF through the commercials. <vbg>

I squared my shoulders, looked the guard straight in the eye,
gave him my best Alpha Bitch stare, and smiled demurely. He told
me to try the freight elevator. Which, of course, I did. When I
got upstairs, it was just 8 PM and the Working Group was going in
the ring. Luckily, I passed McKee who was going to take a peek
while she waited, I told her what the game plan was, and we
started breaking down and loading the gear on the dolly. Finally
we were done and I turned around to see a line, as far as the eye
could see, 4 deep, of everyone else with their crate dollies
loaded just as ours were. McKee groaned. The line was not moving.
We'll never get out she moaned! (by this time we were absolutely
exhausted) I said a quick prayer, the line started to move and I
told her to jump in and I would be right behind her. "Where?",
she said. "Remember how you did it in the NYC traffic on the way
in?", I replied. We were on our way out! Hmm. Slight logistics
problem. We are going out down the long, rather steep, winding
ramp that the forklifts use. The guard tells me to let the dolly
go down backwards, holding onto the rope. I do not think this is
such a good idea as this is not my dolly, I'm not sure how old
the rope is, nor whether it is worn where it is tied to the
dolly. If it let loose it would be a rather dangerous projectile
to all below, including McKee and Jackie. So, I opt to go down
ahead of it, using my right elbow on top of the tack box to hold
it back, holding bak on the rope with my ight hand and letting it
ride down rested against my right ankle, leading with my left
foot. I yelled to McKee to wait for me at the bottom in case they
needed her ID so I could get out. It worked fine. There was
someone who was checking at the bottom which I neatly sidestepped
and followed McKee out. As we are crossing the entrance/exit to
Penn Station on that side, there is a fire truck sitting there
with lights flashing and a lot more of them down in Penn Station.
Anybody hear what was going on down there? We kept going to the
hotel, I unloaded the dolly, put the gear in the Van, opened the
crate and loaded it in the back, in jumped Jackie, we said
goodbye to Bobby the doorman and off we went. Finally, on our way
home. Made it to the Lincoln Tunnel, Hooray! Then to the
Turnpike. Pulled out from in front of the hotel at 8:30 PM and
were home by 9:40! The dogs were ecstatic and I was glad to be
home. I would not have missed it for the world and I also never
want to do it again with a dog! Unless, of course, we can both
arrive and leave in a Limo! Much prefer to take the train up and
back. Much less hassle. Moral of the story, if you decide to
enter Westminster, make sure you have plenty of help and plenty
of cash for tipping!

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com