[pyrnet] The Westminster Experience Part 3

The Pyrs enter the ring and everyone catches their breath and
holds it. I tried counting dogs and there were 23 or 24 of the 26
entered in the ring. The Judge sends 1/2 of them out of the ring
to be judged after she makes her cut from the first group that
was left in there. Now, I didn't have my catalog with me as
Dianne wanted me to take pictures, but she disappeared into the
crowd with her camera. Oh, well. The first group was judged, the
cuts were made and the rest sent out of the ring. They were done
for the day. The second group entered the ring, they too were
judged and the cuts were made. The rest again were sent out of
the ring, they too were done for the day. Unfortunately Jackie
was one of them. Now the cuts from the first group and the second
group were judged again, and the Judge made her selection for
BOB, and BOS and the first 2 AOMs. She looks around and makes her
final selection for AOM, who's owner happened to be standing
right next to me. I instinctively reached out in case she fainted
as she certainly looked as if she might! The tears started
rolling down her face. Such happiness! I watched while they took
pictures then headed away from ringside. I walked around, a LOT,
checking out the vendors and trying to find what Barry Denyer had
requested for me to get for him. No such luck Barry, but I did
get you the only thing I saw that had Westminster 2001 printed on
it! And believe me, I checked with every single vendor. I even
went to the WKC Information Booth to see if they could help me
out. They sent me to the place where I purchased your item. BTW,
the woman at the Information Booth was inppressed that someone
from the UK would want a Westminster souvenir! As were those at
the booth from which I purchased it. (bet you're wondering what
it is, aren't you Barry?) You'll just have to wait and see! <vbg>
All I will tell you is that it is NOT a hat. They had none. About
1:30 PM I thought I would pass out from hunger, so Dianne and I
went back to the previous night's restaurant and had lunch. We
picked up 2 of the same appetizers that we had gotten for McKee
the night before and headed back in to the show. Dianne headed
for the Juniors ring and I went back to the grooming area to give
McKee her food, and McKee and I went up into the stands to watch
the handler in Mastiffs. The handler and Matiff went BOB, and I
headed off to find Dianne. Could not find Dianne, so I headed
back to the grooming area to see if she was there. She had been
there looking for me but had headed out for a smoke. The smoking
area we had been using all day was closed (guard change) so I
headed out through the main entrance and there was Dianne. We
talked about what we were going to do about getting the Van and
getting out of the "Garden" and home. We came up with a game plan
and went back upstairs to get the parking ticket and baggage
claim tickets. Headed back down and walked over to the parking
garage acroos from the "Garden" to see if they finally had some
room so we could park there. Yes they did, so we walked back
again to the hotel to get the Van. Gave the Doorman the parking
stub, were told it would be 40 minutes and went into the
restaurant for coffee and cheescake. 25 minutes later we went to
the Bell Captain to get our stuff from the baggage claim room.
Out the front doors and there was the Van! Dianne tipped the
Doorman (quite well I believe) so that we could leave the Van
parked in front of the hotel, he loaded the Van, and I trudged
back to the "Garden" with the crate dolly to pick up McKee,
Jackie and the gear. Oh-oh, I had forgotten McKee's Exhibitor
pass and they would NOT let me in the front doors and up the
escalators with the crate dolly, of that I was sure. So, I went
to the Exhibitors entrance, showed the guard my ticket, at which
point he told me I could not use that entrance. I explained to
him that without the crate dolly, the crate, grooming table and
various sundries would need to be stored there until we returned
several years down the road, if ever, or he could take it
upstairs to McKee himself, and help her get back down, as she was
quite elderly and feeble (which of course, she is not. Yes, I
lied, but she could not have done it on her own, that's for
sure!) More in Part 4.

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com