Re: [pyrnet] Drool

Chrissy,

As the unofficial Queen of Drool, let me answer your question.  (Note that I
have only been around Pyrs for three years.)

The dog drools because its lower lip is loose and allows the saliva that
would normally run down its throat (be swallowed) run out the sides of its
mouth.

Dogs generate a lot of saliva when excited or when food is present.  Pyrs
with "tight" mouths only slime people when excited or when food is present.
Loose lip Pyrs, drool 24 - 7, just more drool sometimes.

It could be more than cosmetic.  If I remember my high school health/science
class, human saliva contains something that starts the digestive process.
If dog saliva does too, then the dog could probably use this in the stomach.

My two "very much loved" three year old Pyr brothers from the same litter
are totally different.  One has tight lips and one has loose lips.  For the
past year, it seems that the dog can control the amount of drool. (or maybe
I am just used to it.)

In my opinion, the dogs are easier to be around if they do not drool.  But
it is no big deal unless you are dressed for work or something similar.

Sandy
Texas Gulf Coast