Re: [pyrnet] New and want info on showing

At 03:02 PM 2/25/01 -0800, Shane Van wey wrote:

> Would my 3 year old have anything against her having tested positive for HD?
> It doesn't seem to bother her unless you get her going up and down a lot of
> obstacles. From what limited exposure I have to dog shows, it seems that the
> only one's she would not do well at would be the agility type. Would that be
> the right way of thinking? Her hips do sway some at a normal gait, but I
> haven't found anything about that one way or the other in the books about
> breed standards. I guess it could be normal.

Shane poses an interesting question & one I don't recall ever seeing discussed
on either of the Pyr lists.  Is "showing" just another activity one may elect
to do with their Pyr, where winning isn't everything, or is it something more?
My personal opinion is that since technically it's called conformation it's
the
"something more".  Isn't the whole point of the conformation ring to exhibit a
Pyr that meets the written standard & one that to the best of the exhibitor's
knowledge is free from any health defects?  Beyond that, aren't Pyrs that win
in the breed ring generally used for breeding or are at least considered
candidates for future breeding.  There may be some obvious movement problems,
perhaps due to HD, etc. that a judge would most likely detect & that would
keep
a dog from placing.  What about genetic issues that aren't visible?  We have a
nearly 6 yr. old bitch that we feel very clearly meets the standard & is a
good
example of the breed conformation wise, but she has moderate VWD.  This
condition of course precludes her from ever being bred, but does it also mean
that she should never be shown? My gut feeling is yes, although I think I'd
enjoy taking a handling class with her & perhaps trying my hand in the breed
ring.  I'd be interested in the opinons of others about the ethical issues
involved.

David Brown