Re: [pyrnet] New and want info on showing

    Well, it's like this.  The purpose of showing is to evaluate breeding stock that would best be suited in that breed's original purpose.  Mind you, lots of people show their dogs and never breed.  You can show in conformation just for the fun of it but if you don't want to breed you don't have to.  The dogs must be intact (not spayed/neutered), though, unless in the veteran class which can't be entered until 7 years of age.
    They can sometimes have an odd gait but in Pyrs it can play a particular role in that they must be able to patrol all day and night if necessary.  Smooth, effortless gaits are preferred.  Speed isn't much of a concern as long as they can cover ground easily.
    Here's a link to the Great Pyrenees Club of America http://clubs.akc.org/gpca/, the illustrated standard makes it easier to interpret.
    I would think you could show her just fine, it would be fun, no guarantees on how she would do....no real guarantees with anyone but it's fun and a nice activity with your dog as long as it doesn't make her uncomfortable.  :)  And of course you have to think, if she did win a lot, what you would do about the temptation of breeding her.

Good luck!  :)
Chrissy

Would my 3 year old have anything against her having tested positive for HD? It doesn't seem to bother her unless you get her going up and down a lot of obstacles. From what limited exposure I have to dog shows, it seems that the only one's she would not do well at would be the agility type. Would that be the right way of thinking? Her hips do sway some at a normal gait, but I haven't found anything about that one way or the other in the books about breed standards. I guess it could be normal.

That's enough for now. We have to get lunch going. I would like to know about any clubs in our area.

Thanks again,

Shane Van Wey and family