Re: [pyrnet] New and want info on showing

In a message dated 2/27/01 12:43:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
vanwey7@peoplepc.com writes:

Why does a show winner necessarily need to be bred. I agree with you that
that is the norm. But why does it have to be.

Hello Shane,

Just a thought - I was led to understand that the purpose of the conformation
ring was to allow the Best of the breeds to be used for breeding better
offspring.  After all this is what breeding is supposed to be all about to -
better the offspring.

This would make sense, however, shows are so political that not always the
"best" is put up (vbg!).

I know of a few people who have bred their dogs without their championships -
does this mean their dogs should not have been bred?   Well that depends -
the few that I know were very correct to the standard however, may not have
stood a chance in the ring without a "handler" that was known to the judges.
 Again, politics plays a part.   I am sure that there are plenty of dogs bred
without their Ch. titles who should not be bred but that's another story.

Take care all,
Dianne Migas - Jersey Shore
Steel Moment Great Pyrenees