Re: [pyrnet] Feedback on Amimal Planet presentation on Pyrs?

    I just now realized what this actually said.  Was extremely tired when I first read it.  Was sure it said "if people WOULD breed loose lipped to loose lipped this wouldn't happen".  Sorry guys.  :)
    The Saint's owner says it's a "dry mouth St."  I know they usually do have much looser lips and heavier heads than Pyrs which amazes me why people are always asking if my dogs are white Newfs. or Sts.
    Asked Billy (hubby), as I've never seen the dog, he said it does drool, just not very much.  Also said the registration certificate says "dry mouth", asked him if it was AKC....he hadn't paid that close attention.  Anyway, I found the part in Padgett's book about oversalivation but am sure I saw something before that can cause dry mouth.
    It says that this condition can effect the Basset Hound, Bernese Mountain Dog, Bloodhound, Shar-Pei, Chow, "Mixed Breed", Bulldog (English), Great Dane, Great Pyrenees, Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, Irish Setter, Mastiff, Newfoundland, Saint Bernard and Scottish Deerhound.  It's called Hypersialism (Drooling, Ptyalism) and the definition is:  Overproduction & oversecretion of saliva by one or more salivary glands.

Chrissy