[pyrnet] Another at the Bridge Tonight

I have some very good friends who are grieving tonight, for today
they had to put down their 4 year old male Pyr due to bone
cancer. I had a meeting in their area of PA on the 3rd of March
and spent the night at their home. I thought that it might be the
last time I would see their 12 year old Pyr, or their 16 year old
Doxie, or perhaps even their 7 year old Pyr who is having some
very bad health problems. Loki, their 4 year old, and Octavia,
the 15 month old were their usual bouncy selves! Two Rescue dogs
came in that day, one came home with me for fostering, and one
stayed with my friends for fostering. On Tuesday morning I got a
call from my friend that Loki was limping pretty bad on his front
leg. This had started on Monday night. She wanted my opinion on
whether or not she should take him to the Vet. My recommendation
was ice and crate rest. After all, he was always out playing with
Octavia and he probably twisted something. She ended up taking
him to the Vet anyway that day as the swelling and limping got
worse. When she called and told me it was bone cancer, I couldn't
believe it! He was fine just 2 days before when I was out there!
The bone in the front leg was so far gone, that it was in danger
of breaking! The Vet discussed amputation, but his opinion was
that it had probably already matastisized elsewhere, and the
recovery would be a long one. Loki's rear was not in the best
shape either, so they opted for doing what was best for him.
Euthanasia was set for last Friday as her husband had to leave on
business on Monday. Well, the business trip was postponed so they
postponed Loki's trip to the Bridge until today. You see, Friday
was also their 14th Wedding Anniversary. Dianne and I went out to
the PDGPC Annual Meeting on Saturday and on the way home we
stopped in to say goodbye to Loki Bear. He was SO happy to see
us! I went out to the van and brought in a box of Abady treats
(his favorite!) and as soon as he saw them he sat down and his
tail was wagging so hard he almost knocked Dianne over! His eyes
were saying COOKIES! Auntie Barb brought me COOKIES!!! He had
lots of cookies and enjoyed every one of them. I spent some time
on the floor with him, hugging him and telling him to say hello
to all of those that had gone before and telling him to let them
know that we still loved and missed them all. As he had other
visitors as well, I'm not quite sure what they thought of this
crazy woman naming off the names of dogs and telling Loki to say
hi to them! <vbg> For the last week Loki has been getting a
Quarter Pounder with Cheese, a Large order of Fries and a Vanilla
Milk Shake for dinner. He's a very loved boy, I can tell you. And
since Saturday, he's been getting his favorite cookies for
dessert. At about 4:30 this afternoon, Loki crossed the Bridge.
He will be sorely missed. Loki came in to Rescue at about the age
of 9 or 10 months old. He was a very large boy that had little
discipline and some dominance problems. With Patti and Jeff's
love and care (and training) he turned into a loving, sweet dog
who behaved impeccably. Their hearts are breaking tonight, as
well as mine. He was a very special boy. I know that they belong
to a couple of the lists I am posting to now, although they only
lurk and do not post. So, to my dear friends, Patti and Jeff,
know that I am thinking of you and that I am crying with you.
Hold tight to those who remain, for they will help heal your
broken heart.

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com