Re: [pyrnet] Grooming question

Caryl, we used to show Mastiffs, and would whisker trim.  I really do not
even like it anymore, and wouldn't even if I were to show again.  My
opinion only, to each their own.

With the Pyrs. I think it is a matter of keeping them clean and well
brushed.  I think trimming around the pads is a personal preference, and
can help with keeping things cleaner.  Sometimes using thinning shears on
the rear
"pantaloons" :-) is helpful. I scissor a bit behind the ears to keep some
of that down.

Mostly I have found that people are in awe over a clean brushed Pyr.
Even my Vet. is, since he gets so many of the poor field Pyrs. that
rarely see a person much less a brush.  I've had the Vet. and Vet. techs.
actually play in the Pyrs. coat, oohing and ahhhing!  Mine are just pet
quality, but because they are clean and fluffy, they just naturally
attract attention.  I am sure your family will fall in love with Sasha!

Everyone will have their choice of shampoos as they write.
I have found that Walmarts St. Aubrey Citrus, works beautifully on mine,
and the citrus helps repel bugs too.  Any gentle shampoo should do well
for them.  I don't  like the blueing type shampoos though, as in a lot of
dogs it seems to irritate their skins.  I use a slicker brush and a comb
on my five.

I think you will find that Sasha is quite gorgeous after a bath and is
fresh and fluffy, and will get al sorts of attention.  Pyrs. just seem to
have that ability to enchant people!

Have fun with your girl!  :-)  Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com