[pyrnet] Pyr-cularities!

All of the recent posts about what to expect and NOT to expect when adding a Pyr to your family, has made me pay more attention to what mine do.

While certainly most Pyr's probably exude a lot of the same character traits, I think like humans, most also come here with a distinct personality. I know mine certainly have.

Halle is now 16 months old. Mariah is 3 years old. Mariah looks more like the "old" breed standard (to me anyway), and not as much like a BWD. Halle, while certainly not as big as her father (almost an albino St. Bernard!), does have a bit more of a broader head. One thing I am wondering is perhaps it just seems like that because she does not have a mature coat yet. Time will tell. The 2 of my girls are not related.

Mariah is on the other hand huge. She has got to be the harriest dang thing you ever saw. Beautiful! But lots of hair!

Halle has a textbook example of a shepard's crook, and the "wheel". Mariah's tail hangs down like a Golden Retriever...

Mariah will not eat her dry food out of a bowl. She has to dump her food out first and then eat. Does anyone else see this from their Pyr's? Wet food is fine. But dry has to out of the bowl! Halle could care less, "just give me food"!

Mariah is very good at not barking unless there really is something to worry about. I believe this to be a sign of a more mature Pyr. Maybe that is the wrong way to look at it, but that's the way I see it. Halle would enjoy barking half of the night or longer!
Mariah, while I certainly wouldn't trust this explicitly, does extremely well at being off the leash. Although, as with most Pyr's I have been around, she will not listen if she know's she is right about something out there, and you are NOT. Duh... Halle wouldn't come back to you if you offered her a rack of lamb!

Sorry to ramble on like this my personal observations, but I really enjoy reading about all of your Pyr's, and YOUR personal experiences. It helps to know more people have this unique relationship with such a awesome and sometimes challenging animal. Isn't it great that they are all unique in some way, and provide us with these tales to tell.

Take care everyone.

Shane Van Wey and family