From: owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org [mailto:owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org]On
Behalf Of Ann K. Wetherilt
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2001 11:06 AM
To: pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] New and learning...

Neema, what a case of "deja vu" as I read your description of Chloe. I'm
afraid what I have to share is not enormously encouraging!! We got our Ivy
Rose when she was 5 years old, and she exhibited many of the same
behaviors you describe. We know she was not abused--we'd had her mother
before her, and the breeders had kept Ivy, hoping to show her, but she was
too timid and nervous from the beginning. When Shelley died, they offered
us Ivy Rose, warning that she wasn't going to be much like her mother.
Shelley was everyone's friend, a stunning therapy dog with both children
and seniors, and afraid of nothing.
Like your girl, Ivy is the most loving dog I've ever encountered when
she's just with us, as well as being a total clown. She picks up our moods
instantly and goes into all kinds of antics if she thinks someone needs
cheering up, as well as if she needs to take our attention away from
scolding her! But I now walk the two of them at times of day, and in
areas, where I know we won't meet too many people; I drive them over to
the arboretum although it's only a few blocks, so that she won't be
spooked by the traffic; and our friends all know that when they come to
our house, she'll head for cover.
We haven't been able to spend a huge amount of time with obedience
training with her, although she's great in the house. That might have
helped. But basically we have decided that as she's so happy whenever
she's at home, we can live with the shyness and timidity. I don't think
she's quite as bad as she was--when we first got her, she'd never been a
house dog, and when we had company she'd hide out in the bathroom. Now she
just lies under the table in the dining room. There are a few people who
visit us who have been able to go up to her, and she'll occasionally come
out from under the table now to watch what's going on.
In terms of your last point--I *really* recommend another!! We got Shelley
as an adult when Paddington was a year old, and I don't think we'd ever go
back to having just one. They're marvelous company for each other, and
they play together wonderfully even though they're both now about 8 years
old.
Good luck!
Ann, Peg, Paddington and Ivy Rose

	unsubscribe pyrnet-l