Re: [pyrnet] Separation anxiety in re: neutering

    Boy!  Whoops, maybe that's a term I shouldn't use.  :)
    I've sure been missing some great conversation!  I realize, Terry, that you are saying it is the irresponsibility of owners to just let their dogs do whatever but, due to this fact, this is why rescues and shelters spay/neuter their animals.  Also, true hobby breeders who are in the breed simply for the love and preservation of that true breed require the spay/neuter or have these procedures done before placing, of any animal that is either not show/breeding quality or (even if it is of this quality) if placed with someone who would give a wonderful home but may not be suited to breeding responsibilities, etc.  Homes are strictly evaluated but you never know what may happen.  It could be the perfect home but anything could happen by accident.

>> There are also breeders who want everyone, except themselves, to neuter their animals, and thereby corner the market <<
>>on purebred dogs. <<

By the way, breeders are not concerned about "cornering the market".  But we don't want our Grandpuppies ending up who knows where.  We just adopted a Dachshund/....?.... mix puppy yesterday for my Grandmother.  It was from the pound I mentioned earlier this week (titled "Rescues").  On the way home it occurred to me, if we just knew how quickly these dogs went back to what champions in what breeds and had hard facts, people might be a little more responsible.  But since "everyone" never will be and accidents happen, that's the big reason for spay/neuter.  Then there's the health benefits which are true, you know them but seem not to acknowledge them.  I'm just stating what I see.
    With livestock guardians, spay/neuter is especially important as well.  The fencing (or lack thereof) that most LGDs are kept in is not adequate at definitely keeping them in or coyotes, wolves, strays, etc. out.  They do defend against these animals but if a coyote or whatever is in heat an un-neutered male LGD will breed with it.  As well, an intact female LGD will have wolf or whatever puppies.  If "fixed" they still guard and (if need be) fight just as well and won't welcome the predator for sex.
    Now come my questions.  How is it your stepmother guaranteed that all of her pet puppies were never bred?  Please, I'm being serious.  I also may have missed a message but how do you feel about spaying?
    I'm waiting to hear back and expect that I may be "in for it".

Chrissy