Re: [pyrnet] LGDs breeding to Predators

>Kerry in the West is it Coyotes and wolves that Pyrs will breed with
or is it
>more common with Coyotes?  I know there are not a lot of wolves, but
in those
>few areas where they are protected, will a Pyr male breed a wolf
female in
>season? Are there confirmed instances of Pyrs breeding with Coyotes
or is it
>other breeds or not known?

I have not heard of Pyrs breeding with wolves.  I would (again Linda
W. would
know much more about this) think that as wolves run in packs more than
coyotes do that any LGDs would be promptly killed by the other pack
members.  Coyotes are more likely to run in pairs while hunting or by
themselves.  We rarely see an entire pack and no my dogs have never
bred to any coyotes here as I keep my in-season bitches kenneled and
spayed females out at that time.  You hear of male LGDs breeding
coyotes through the years but again confirming it with written proof
is doubtful.  What is definitely known is how many predators are
pulled in whenever a LGD bitch
is in season and how an un-neutered male LGD responds during that
time.  For me that is an excellent reason to spay and neuter your
LGDs.
Kerry