Re: [pyrnet] LGDs breeding to Predators

In a message dated 3/25/01 3:17:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bamb@monmouth.com writes:

Left at or taken back to the home while the shepherds and other dogs
remained with the flocks. But, if the shepherds used many dogs (big IF, I
know) would they not follow pack behavior in that only the dominant male
would do the breeding? Without human interference that is to say. Just a
thought.

Good thought.  I really have no idea.  I suspect there were more than one dog
(dog used here to denote an animal as opposed to male).  At least some point
in time most recently, many sheep from multiple owners were pastured together
in a type of cooperative.  There was a shepherd paid by some group to do his
work and probably had multiple dogs.  All assumptions, but if Pyrs will breed
with Wolves in season, the human part of the team must have been involved.

Kerry in the West is it Coyotes and wolves that Pyrs will breed with or is it
more common with Coyotes?  I know there are not a lot of wolves, but in those
few areas where they are protected, will a Pyr male breed a wolf female in
season? Are there confirmed instances of Pyrs breeding with Coyotes or is it
other breeds or not known?

Joe