Subject: Re: [pyrnet] Separation anxiety in re: neutering

I was never a big one for neutering animals. That was before Patou. Patou
was the last dog of our breeding program . He went to the bridge four years
ago just three months shy of 15 years. At age 12 we were faced with a
devastating decision, and one we resisted violently. He had peri-anal ademonas.
To remove them and not castrate him would put him in double jeopardy-
the surgery, followed by their almost guaranteed return.

For those of you lucky enough to have enjoyed a healthy old Pyr, you can
appreciate the dilemma. You don't operate, he dies, you operate, he may
or may not die. Surgery is tough on these old ones.

We elected surgery, and while he appeared to recover totally, it started what
I considered a downward aging spiral - or at least hastened it.

Had he been neutered earlier, this never would have been an issue.

You can get as philosophical as you want. But when the chips are down and
you are looking at loosing a cherished family member because of something
that you elected not to do (neuter) - you think real hard about this issue.
Count me in on the side that promotes neutering.

Regards,

Carol Brescher Boyle