Re: [pyrnet] Separation anxiety in re: neutering

    I did said, I could see what you are saying and agree that unwanted litters mainly stem from irresponsible owners (as well as accidents if people are responsible in every way possible but an animal gets loose, etc.) but do not agree that neutering....or spaying....is mutilation.

> You are willing to sell a dog to a family for profit, as long as this family has to continually rely upon
> you as a source for any future dogs. Is that correct?
    No!  I do not sell my puppies/dogs for a "profit".  Would you like me to figure up how much money I've lost with a current litter because I'm picky about where they go?  It might take me a while to figure this up as I don't bother caring about keeping records on how much I "spend" on my dogs.  Just that, I don't care, I'm willing to keep them for the rest of time and even if I did sell each one for "x" amount of money, I still would not be making a profit.  Besides that, nothing can make up for the emotional cost at watching a previous litter bleed to death due to a complication called Hypoprothrombinemia which is treated in new born pups with a shot of vitamin K or can be prevented by giving the dam an injection of this shortly before whelping (which I now do).  My regular veterinarian wasn't in and the vet I took them to didn't "see any reason" they should have the vitamin K.  They all died, screaming, in my arms.  This is the emotional cost that the pet owner cannot deal with!  Also, for some reason, it seems no one knows how often pets are acquired simply for research, sacrifice or some other unspeakable act. This is why we always see "Free To Good Home" or whatever, people just don't know who is really getting the animal.  Even with all the questions hobby breeders ask and the extensive agreements signed, we still have to be very careful.  The only reason I didn't just quit all together is because my goal is to have bred the finest Great Pyrenees and Cocker Spaniels possible (under my expectations....dual purpose, wonderful dogs), to have these lovely dogs with me at all times and to go down in history with those like Edith and Seaver Smith of Quibbletown.  This may not happen but it is my goal.  I am not looking for a profit, anyone who really is, is not in it for the right reasons and I certainly don't care if someone wants to go somewhere else to get a dog.  In fact, I regularly refer people elsewhere, including rescue.
    You, yourself, said that your dog is not of breeding quality and he will never be bred.  Well, if I were to have someone sign a "no breeding contract" and was guaranteed the animal would never be bred, wouldn't those people still either have to come to me or go somewhere else for any future dogs?  This is not what the original conversation was about, you said that you believe neutering to be a mutilation and everyone is trying to find out why you believe this but never get a strait answer.
    So now we go on to your next statement, a repeated one.

> Regarding spaying, I have already discussed this with Cindy, in a previous
> post. A vasectomy is not a mutilation as far as I am concerned.
>
> Terry

    I asked you how you feel about spaying.  You've answered as believing a vasectomy is not mutilation.  Please correct me if I am wrong but I see the definition of this as being:

Vasectomy:  Surgical removal of all or part of the "vas deferens",
usually as a means of sterilization.
"Vas Deferens":  The main secretory duct of the testicle, through which
semen is carried from the epididymis to the prostatic urethra, where it
ends as the ejaculatory duct.

    This would not be the spaying of a female.  Nor would it be "tying the tubes" of a female which is:
Tubal Ligation:  A method of female sterilization in which the fallopian
tubes are surgically tied.
  (Sometimes they are cauterized or burnt also)

    {My Mother's were cut and, I believe, cauterized.)

    I would like to know what part of the actual neutering you consider mutilation and what part of a vasectomy you don't consider mutilation?  However, my original question has still not been answered and I don't expect it will be but will ask again, specifically.
    Do you consider the spaying of a female dog mutilation?  If so, do you consider the tubal ligation of a female dog mutilation?  (If they do this.)

> In an earlier post on this issue, one of the ladies equated this to a lady
> having her breasts removed as simply a preventive measure, without any
> specific medical diagnosis of breast cancer, or without any family history of
> it. What do you think about that?
    I think you're getting really too personal when this is about dogs.  I also say that since it is possible for me to go to my Doctor (female) and find out if I am at risk....and then if I am, I can take preventative measures, there is no need for me to have surgery.  I expect I will go sometime soon and find out whether I am or not as a very dear friend of mine is currently fighting this disease.  Is there some procedure I don't know of that people can take their dogs to a Vet and find out if they're at risk and if so be put on preventative measures?

> Before I purchased my Pyr I spoke with several breeders, including one who is
> prominently mentioned in "The New Complete Great Pyrenees." This lady does
> not subscribe to the "Preventative Measures," theory, and neither do I.
>
> Terry

    I highly recommend this book to everyone but just because someone is in it doesn't necessarily designate them knowing all.  I do not know all, I'm not saying that.  There are also very qualified breeders who are not in that book that do believe in spay/neuter for many reasons.  Furthermore, if this breeder doen't subscribe to the preventative measures of spay/neuter, does she at least spay/neuter or require the spay/neuter of her pets?
    I do have to wonder about the type of person you acquired your boy from....not requiring him to be neutered by a certain age or that he legally comes back to them.
    There are several links you need to see.  Many have been posted.  Here's one, this is what happens to unwanted animals who's parents weren't "fixed".  It's much due to irresponsible owners but also accidents from dogs (female or male) escaping out the door or well fenced yard of an otherwise responsible owner for a mere five minutes.  http://www.themestream.com/articles/286864.html

Chrissy