Re: [pyrnet] new behavior-growling at small dog

This is probably not going to be much help, but I thought I would toss it
in for consideration.

In our house the standing rule is, the 9 year old Shih-Tzu is not to be
touched.  Most of the time, this is followed closely.  They will lay with
her cuddled up,  Kemosabi, will attempt to play with her, when they are
outside.

Our biggest problem is food.  Su-Ling will not back down if there is an
altercation, which doesn't help.  Su-and Kemo really got into it one day,
as I scrambled to keep Su-Ling from getting herself killed.  Kemo got
chewed out verbally but good!  Now they glare at each other, any time
they so much as smell food.

Gulliver, who has pretty much been on the edge, just getting weight on
and health back has now entered the picture as a problem.  Evidently he
is finally feeling healthy enough to challenge the original four for
position, and there also appears to be an emphasis on food too.  He is
finally becoming well fed, and I guess he now doesn't want to be left to
go hungry ever again.  Lately we have been having an annoying amount of
fights.  Mind you, all are spayed and neutered.

Out of the blue one day,and over food, Gulliver went for Su-Ling!  In
this case, she tried to get away from him, but he kept going after her.
I, was making a mad dash across the room.  In the end, it was Kemosabi
who interceded first on Su-Lings behalf and drove Gulliver back,
fiercely.  Ranger stepped in with Kemo and put Gulliver down.

All this letter means I guess ,is that we can't really know what they
will do, but I would err on the side of caution where real small dogs are
concerned.  One slip can be all it takes, or they may be just fine.  Just
won't always have the time to know.  Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka