Re: [pyrnet]Reply/Hi,I'm new here

In a message dated 5/22/01 5:34:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, clhenke@juno.com
writes:

Seems to me like Sariena is making every effort to think this through and
do what she is most comfortable with.  Also that her main questions were
asking others if they experienced this.  Why is this taking on an almost
attack like attitude again?  I thought we were all trying to be on our
best behavior in welcoming new folks?

That's not quite correct.  Here is some of the things the poster said
initially.

<
<All of the information I received about Pyr's told of a gentle temperament,
patient with children, aloof but never aggressive, and so on.
This discription does not discribe my dog. >>

<<When he reached about 10 month's of
age, his fear started turning to aggression>>
<<Instead of running and hiding, he'd, (most definitely afraid), would try to
attack the offending object. Ie: the lawn mower, vacuum etc. Also he became
food aggressive. Would attack my female 14yr old Sheppard if she just walked
in the same room if he had food in his bowl.  Then his aggression started to
turn towards people. Mostly, people he didn't
know, would bark and growl, show teeth, with hackles raised.
Finally, he nipped my three year old daughter in the face, when she tried to
get him out of the fridge.>>
<<Any ways, I just wondered if this was an issue that sometimes creeps up in
Pyr's?
Also, I would really like some of your thought's, and maybe a good
discription of what a Pyr is really like, both the positive and the
negative.>>

With the above you would have to agree that she was asking much more than "if
we had experienced this."

This is a very serious subject.  When one cannot buy properly, or pick
properly a puppy and then gets a bad one that attacks children, is described
as a clear fear biter, describes a clearly escalating pattern of aggression
that results in an injury to a three year old family member, and then seems
to have all the answers, you know they were only looking for confirmation and
support of their emotional point of view toward the dog.  I apologize that I
was not able to reinforce these notions.  IMHO, it just is wrong to do so.
Well bred Pyrs do not attach our three year old children.  I certainly do not
want any more injured people, including our small children.  It is not normal
behavior for Pyrs.

If posters only wanted opinions that agree with them they should say so in
their post and the rest of us will not waste our time with it.  There are
others who lurk who might get the very wrong information if it was all that
was posted.  Nothing personal except for one injured child who may have this
dog either coming back into their home or that it is there now.  Not a
serious question?

All the people who responded to the question only have the best wishes for
this poster and certainly the dependent children who have no say in the
matter.  Again if you do not want other opinions say so the list will know
that you only want people who agree with what is being said and we can spend
our time doing something else.

Joe