Re: [pyrnet] RE: pyrnet-l-digest.20010522-2

In a message dated 5/23/01 10:53:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
M_Hull@naicip.com writes:

Do you think we'll have a problem?  What can I start to do, today to prepare
for kids, without scaring other people's kids with my big dog?

I don't think you will.  Just the opposite.  The Pyr will love and protect
you baby from all threats in and out of the house.  When you see the Pyr
place itself between the baby and a stranger never making a sound, you know
it has happened.  When you see the Pyr get very nervous when the child is
crying and/or being disciplined, you know it is having some problems with the
child being upset and trying to decide if it is in any danger.  Just some
common sense should do.  I would never let a child especially a small one get
into the food bowl with any dog.  That is asking for it, but most Pyrs would
just let it go.  Some people advocate training the Pyr to let the family take
food from its mouth.  I have no problem with this.  Children should be taught
to respect and love their animals.  Pyrs are no different.  Neighborhood
children that cannot do same are banished permanently from the premises.  No
exceptions and if they disobey this, appropriate measures are taken to insure
they never come close to any animals at my place.

You could have a little jealousy with a new born, especially if your Pyr has
been your baby.  Gently introduce the Pyr to the baby and let it know this is
part of the family and it is her/his job to protect this baby like it does
everyone else.  Pyrs are very smart.  This happens most of the time
naturally, and they know instinctively.

Through six children and now one grandchild we never have had a problem.  We
did have one adult dog that the crawling child made him nervous as it crawled
toward him.  He generally would move away.  Once or twice he barked at the
baby making it cry by scaring it, but never laid a tooth on anyone.

So don't worry, few Pyrs have this problem and those who do have either been
abused or have some genetic flaw.  Both very serious problems and you would
have many clues long before a baby arrives.

Joe