Re: [pyrnet] RE: pyrnet-l-digest.20010522-2

Do you think we'll have a problem?  What can I start to do, today to prepare
for kids, without scaring other people's kids with my big dog?

My Pyr was almost three when I brought home my first born and then fifteen months later brought home a second baby.
We had no problems.

The first couple years he pretty much ignored them.  He would sniff them when we came home from an outing then walk away.  If they ever came towards him, he would just walk into the other room.  I always thought he was afraid he would step on them or something.

Now that they are older 3.5 and 2.5 years old, he now enjoys them.  They can brush him, ride him, hug him, give him treats.

I had a behaviorist tell me to carry a baby doll around before the baby was born.  I also had my husband bring a blanket home from the hospital with the baby's smell on it.   In addition, when I came home from the hospital I first went into the house without the baby, greeted the dogs (I also have 2 German Shepherds) then had my husband bring the baby in.  They barely acknowledged the baby and were just happy to see me after my absence.

In addition, just a warning about the dog food being around the babies.  I quickly discovered that once the babies started crawling, the first place they went was the dog food dish.  The kibble went straight into their mouths!!  This was a choking hazard that I had never considered.

Marie Gorman
Franklin, MA
mrie@mediaone.net