Re: [pyrnet] The Spokane dog and rescue

--- Linda Weisser <lmweisser@home.com> wrote:

For one
> thing you
> would understand one basic thing that we all know and must always be
> remember.  Every one of us has had that oh so nice dog come into
> rescue
> (nearly always a young male) who after weeks of being a real
> sweetheart,
> turns on someone in the family.  With luck it is not a child. Believe
> me,
> this has happened to all of us, which is why, in organized rescue all
> males
> are fostered and usually separated from potentially risky situations.

This is why in reputable rescue organizations (like GPCA-affiliated
club rescues)  observing "best practices," dogs must first be fostered
by an educated rescue volunteer and temperament tested before being
placed in a home. Many times after the dog has been checked out by
rescue, it is determined that he should not go to a permanent home with
kids or cats or other dogs....

I am very happy that Gil was bailed out. I admire Merri's kind heart
and love for dogs. But I have to agree 100% with Linda on this: it is
best for the breed, individual dogs and those who would adopt them that
established rescue protocols are observed.

Katie
Katie

=====
~Katie Allison Granju~