Re: [pyrnet] The Spokane dog and rescue

Let me offer a simple summary of what I was saying in regards to this
situation:

A male Pyr taken from a shelter with no history available should be
considered a potentially dangerous dog until he has had ample time and
opportunity to be proven otherwise. Optimally, all dogs coming out of a
shelter would first go to a rescue-affiliated foster home where an
experienced Pyr person could come/already lives to do a complete
temperament test.

I would never, ever immediately trust a strange, male giant breed dog
with my children. Dogs in our home have to earn the privilege to move
freely among all the animals and people (particularly small people) in
our household. That takes time but is worth the effort.

I applaud Merri's love and compassion. However, I think that the *best*
(not the only) way for Pyr rescue to work is through the established
rescue "best practices," which include extensive observation and
temperament testing prior to being placed in a well-matched home.

Merri, *all* I was saying is to please be careful. Make Gil earn the
right to play freely with your kids and other dogs. And I would be
saying this even if he hadn't shown any signs of stress or fear when
you first approached him at the shelter.

I am well aware that "established" breed rescue contacts can sometimes
seem hard to reach. I know I have emailed the east Tennessee (my
geographic area) contact at least three times in the past 18 months
offering to help and asking to be put on a waiting list for a
family-ready female rescue. I have never heard a word from him :-(

Katie

=====
~Katie Allison Granju~
Writing ~ Editing ~ Consulting