Re: [pyrnet]Cindy/When a Dog Bites

Sariena, found your information very interesting.  Because I also have
horses in my life I also found some correlation there.  In much the same
manner, people peg horses as being, crazy, man killers, need to be
destroyed etc.  The bottom line is also that it may be more a matter of
us not working well with what is natural to them.  The fact that 1,000
lb. animals do not kill more humans, may be more the amazing event.  For
most of horse/mankind relationship it has been one of dominating or
breaking the horses spirit.  Only lately are we changing our way of
thinking to understand that they are far more willing to work with us
without the violence, if only we make an attempt to understand them on
their own level.  Advances in understanding that horses are intelligent
beings, with good memories etc.  But it still boils down to working
within the bounds of what is natural to them and has kept them alive as a
species.  The fact that they will tample you if frightened does not mean
they are trying to kill you, only that they are trying to get away from
what historically may kill them!  This is a dog list, so I won't go in to
it as deeply here ( if you want to go off list with this, it would be
interesting to talk about ).  I think we need to understand the dog, move
with the times in what is being learned about the dog, and adjust
ourselves accordingly.

I enjoyed reading about how the trainer looked at things, judged both you
and the dog and your relationship, and worked at it from there.  As I
have said before, I am glad you made the effort!  :-)  Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka