From: Julie Johnston [mailto:raven4luck@home.com]
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2001 11:23 PM
To: pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] chronic diarrhea

Hi all -

It's nice (in a sick way) to know other Pyrs have been suffering with
chronic diarrhea.  A few weeks after I got Emily, she began to have diarrhea
and some vomiting problems.  I took her into the vet where she was diagnosed
($218 worth of tests) with Giardia.  She was treated for that and did fine
for a few weeks when it started again.  The vet had said that the giardia
might return so I took in another stool sample.  This time it wasn't giardia
but an overgrowth of bacteria that was causing the problem.  I was feeding
her Canidae the entire time.  Just last weekend she started having diarrhea
and vomiting again.  Larger dog, larger puddle of diarrhea in the house too
with a lot of it on the sheepskin rug.  )-:  I called the vet and got an ok
on immodium before her appt.  Saturday she vomited outside and I went to
examine the contents.  It was mainly food with a WORM on top.  =:-0  In
another vomit spell, I found another worm.  Yuck.  I saved the worm, a
roundworm, and took both it and another stool sample into the vet.  She was
diagnosed with roundworms (lots of them) and given medication just today.  I
asked why the worms didn't show up on the previous 3 stool samples and he
didn't have any answers.  It just seems like she has a few weeks of "soft
formed stools" and then back to the soft or liquid stuff.   Tomorrow or the
next day I'll have pleasure of cleaning up the expelled and hopefully dead
adult worms.  Good thing I'm a nurse and have cleaned up every bodily
excrement.  I can't say I've even cleaned up wormy poop though.  I've been
told that Canidae is a good food and it does have human grade ingredients.
The vet says it isn't the food but could be the stress of the dog.  She
seems content in every way - plays, eats, naps, is spoiled, etc just like
the others and everyone gets along fine.  Perhaps there is a weak genetic
gene in Pyrenees intestines somehow?  Anyway, it's nice to know I'm not the
only one cleaning up diarrhea and vomitus these days.

Julie