Re: [pyrnet] Tails and LGDs

----- Original Message -----
From: <JGentzel@aol.com>

 When the dogs are taking on predators the dogs can
be more easily identified with the tail up high. >>

A quick sort of amusing story here.  Quite a number of years ago, a friend
spent a month in France/Europe seeing Pyrs with the intention of buying one
for another breeder (he did) and he took lots and lots of video tape.
Including one in the Pyrenees at a herding trial which he attended.  This
trial was held on the farm of a real Basque shepherd using his flock.  The
evening before, the big flock was coming down off the mountain side into its
nightime pen. Moving slowly across the vision field of the camera.  All of
the sudden you noticed that one of the sheep had a tail curled high over its
back <g>.  In the middle of this moving sea, about the same size and color
was their Pyr guardian.  The dog and the sheep moved into the night pen.
The dog lay down and relaxed.  Until....  my friend decided to get a close
up and moved toward the pen.  The dog stood up firmly and deliberately.
Planted himself, tail over his back and sounded the warning.  "No closer
...."  He did not run at the fence, he did not get "hysterical". My friend
stopped, backed away and the dog lay down again.

Linda