[pyrnet] Another Pyr has crossed the Bridge today

My friend Marie, had to send her first Pyr to the Bridge today. I
met Marie and Ruger at handling class when both our puppies were
about 6 months old. Bo and Ruger were born just 10 days apart. Bo
on 12/3/90 and Ruger on 12/13/90. Marie and I have been friends
since that very first day at class. Ruger was a bouncy, happy
puppy with just TONS of personality. We have not spent a lot of
time together over the years as we both led very busy lives, but
we have kept in touch. Last year, Marie bought another Pyr, which
just happened to be a Bo Grandbaby. I went down to the breeder
with her to pick up the puppy. She calls to give me updates on
how he is doing. So, when she called the yesterday and told me
that Ruger wasn't feeling well, and described to me his symptoms,
I told her to take in a urine sample when she went to the Vet.
(she had already made an appointment) It sounded like he was
having prostate problems to me and that he might have a UTI
(urinary tract infection, Ruger had never been neutered) She took
him in to the Vet and he got a complete going over. They did
bloodwork as well as a Urinalysis, but these were sent out to the
Lab for complete testing. Ruger was started on Metronidazole as
he also had loose stool. Temp was normal. Marie called a bit
before 10 this morning and told me that Ruger had not moved for a
while and she couldn't get him up to get him to the Vet. She said
she would come get me if I could come help her get him in the
car. (I had never been to her new place and I probably would have
had a lot of trouble finding it) Of course, as usual, I had no
plans, but even if I had I would have cancelled them. In the
interim, while I was waiting for her to arrive, I called the Vet
and alerted him to the emergency. Told him I would call him when
I got to her house and we got the dog loaded into the vehicle.
When we got there, Remy (the new pup) came running up and Ruger
got up and came over to say hello as well. He did not look good
at all. We loaded him in the truck, I called the Vet and off we
went. Took a good half hour in all the tourist traffic. We got
him inside and his temp was up to 104. The test results had come
back, the bloodwork looked OK, not great, but OK. Urinalysis
showed a bladder infection. Next step was x-rays of the prostate
and other organs. First set was inconclusive as he had so much
gas it was hard to see. We did a second set. Prostate was quite
enlarged. AND Confirmed that Ruger had phneumonia! We did an
ultrasound which showed several small abcesses of the prostate.
Prognosis, because of the phneumonia, and because just 24 hours
earlier the lungs had been totally clear, was not good. He had
gone downhill so very fast, that instead of letting him suffer
through IV antibiotics and weeks in the hospital, she opted to
put him down. The Vet did not think that he would make it, even
with aggressive treatment.  Marie could not stay with him, she
was too upset, so I stayed with him. He went very quickly and
quietly and seemed glad for the release. Until  yesterday morning
he had showed no discomfort. If he had either one or the other of
the problems, the prognosis would have been much better, but with
the severely enlarged and abcessed prostate coupled with the
phneumonia, the outlook was quite bleak. Rest well Ruger. You may
be gone but are not forgotten.

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com