Re: [pyrnet] Pyr and New Puppy?

In a message dated 7/29/01 7:58:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
knogas@nucleus.com writes:

A member of our family wants to rescue a Doberman puppy.  Is this a good
idea?  Would an adult male Pyr kill or hurt a new dog suddenly brought
into his territory on a permanent basis?

Thanks!

Nothing is ever 100%, but 99% sure this should be fine.  In fact you might
need to restrict the playfulness of the older dog (Pyr) with a puppy (Dobe)
as they can injure the puppy with rough play.

There should never be any problem.  All dogs should be neutered.  When two
males are together there can be problems.  Neutering can help this male
aggressiveness stuff, but that is a time when the Dobe begins to reach some
maturity to watch. The Dobe would likely be the initiator.  I would ask why
the Dobe puppy is in rescue.  If it has anything to do with temperament
(anywhere in the line), I would pass.

Good luck.

Joe