[pyrnet] hello and housetraining

Hi, we are new to pyrnet and enjoying every pyr conversation.  Thanks to everyone making it possible!  I am owned by 3 pyrs. Britty is 4 yrs old, Bear is 3 and Rudy is 2.

We passed on paper training.  There were several key times that we made it a point to get our baby outside to have a puppy potty party. After meals, after napping, after being in crate, after a big play session inside the house, if it was too quiet, and whenever we thought it had been long enough to maybe do a puddle.  Each time a successful potty happened outside we would celebrate w/ pup with voice and play..the 'good' potty outside, what a special and smart baby etc...They were soooooooo cute!  It was frustrating when he/she couldn't find 'the' right spot, or wanted to go right back out again...but after just 2-3 weeks they were predictable...or was it that we were predictable for them?...Who was training who?

There were a couple gross moments...When Britty was learning the crate, I made a big mistake.  After work I zipped through traffic, bolted up the steps two at a time, scooped her from the crate to take her outside...I didn't realize she was 'shitty puppy' until she was in my arms!  Oh, my poor pup!  Bear, house trained quick due to Britty's supervision...but one day he looked at me as he started to squat (he didn't lift a leg til 9 mo.)...I was so put out that he would even consider peeing that I just reached right under and gently pressed my flat hand over his spout and told him to go 'outside'.  He gave me the 'What in the hell are you doing? look but I just kept my hand (pee and all) there until he was outside.  They are worth all the trouble of training...I hope that's what they (woo-woo-woof) say too:)

I miss having a puppy around here <sigh>, you could just send your Bailey Bear up to our house;) <VBG>

Barb in NC