[pyrnet] Grooming Question

We used to have Newfoundlands and part of the grooming process was to use
thinning shears on the fluffy area behind the ears (helped to emphasize the
size of the head).  Never, and I mean never, had a mat appear in that area.

Now we have a Pyr and are having the occasional small mat show up.  She is
strictly a companion animal.  Would it be unacceptable to thin the fur
behind the ears if she is not being shown?  She is brushed at least twice a
week, normally more often.

Caryl