Re: [pyrnet] Age to Spay

Ellie Walker wrote:<<I've heard 2 different things. One is to
spay before the 1st heat, partly
due to a dog going through her cycle increases her risk of
getting cancer in
the future. Secondly though, I've also heard/been told to let the
dog go
through one heat first. If I remember correctly, I was told that
this allows
the dog to mature a bit more and makes them a better dog,
personality wise.
Soo.... who knows :)>>

This is old school thinking. Vets used to believe this to be so.
But, they have been doing early spay/neuter for better than 20
years. What has been found is that the health benefits are
enormous. Side effects are negligable.

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com