Re: [pyrnet] questions

> I have never owned a pyr before, but have done extensive reading on them.  My
> neighbor has two as LGD.  She likes them and says they definitely help.

We own a campground in the Catskills of NY and  have goats and donkeys.
Unfortunately the mountains are abundant with coyotes.  My donkeys hold their
own, but I question the safety of my goats.  While the coyotes don't come into
campground during the summer, they do venture in during the winter sometimes.

Granted donkeys can be used as flock protectors, my one gelded male doesn't like
anything but a donkey in his pasture.  He has no tolerance for goats.  So I'm
looking to obtain a pyr.  I am going to look at two females this week, ages 2
and 6.  The woman who has them now has goats.  She doesn't put them in with
goats on a regular basis, and the dogs could care less about the goats.

My question is...could these two dogs have the potential to be LGD?  Am I better
keeping them in with the goats or in a yard next to them?  I've been told that
pyrs wander and should not be left to run loose.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks, Heidi in NY