Re: [pyrnet] questions

Hello Heidi, First my disclaimer. My Pyrs are couch potatoes.
They do not gueard goats or any livestock, unless you count us,
the cats, 4 Cockateils and the bunny in the backyard. But, I do
belong to a couple of LGD lists. What I have heard suggested is
that you pen them next to the goats for at least a few weeks.
Since you have never before had LGD, I can only assume that your
goats are not dog broke either. This penning right next to each
other serves two purposes, the goats get used to the dogs and the
dogs get used to the goats. You will, however, have to be sure
your goat pasture is LGD escape proof. Most people who have a
large area to fence use "hot wire" for this. Livestock grade
charger for the hot wire. But, you have unique circumstances as
you run a camground, and I'm not sure how this would work with
tenderfoots. No matter how many signs you post, someone is bound
to touch the hotwire, just to see if it is working. They will
certainly be in for a shock! (no pun intended) The other thing
you need to consider with these two girls, is are they peole
socialized. If they are not, you might have a problem there as
well, since your business is geared around lots of people coming
and going. I'm sure it could be done, and done well. You just
need to consider all the variables before getting the dogs. Good
luck.

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com