Re: [pyrnet] anthrax--dogs

Apparently dogs can get a chronic form of anthrax.  It is rare.  And most of
these dogs live in areas with livestock.  Anthrax is pretty endemic in
livestock in many countries and occurs here too.  There has been an anthrax
epidemic this summer in the bison in Wood Buffalo National Park in Canada.
Over 40 have died so far.

I agree with Barb and Cynthia that we need to get on with our lives and not
create panic or boogie men in our minds.  For me that includes a crash
course in all bio "threats".  Although my son is an epidemiologist so this
isn't all that new to me.  Avoid reading or watching the common popular
press like the major channels or CNN or FOX or whatever.  Look for websites
from the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) where you are likely to find more
objective information.

Or you can try these:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/anthrax.html

CDC
<http://www.bt.cdc.gov>

The U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases:
<http://www.usamriid.army.mil/education/bluebook.html>

The Association for Infection Control Practitioners:
<http://www.apic.org>

and the Johns Hopkins Center for Civilian Biodefense:
<http://www.hopkins-biodefense.org>

or the Journal of the American Medical Association (adobe needed) *very*
long
http://jama.ama-assn.org/issues/v281n18/fpdf/jst80027.pdf

Linda