[pyrnet] More about Newman

Thanks, all, for the  nice comments on Newman. Yeah, WE think he's a cutie.
Though it's hard to say something's "cute" when it's so doggone BIG. LOL!

Every time we go anywhere  with  him, he draws a LOT of attention. Pyrs are
not very common at ALL here in San Antonio. Until we started researching
breeds to decide what type of dog to get after our Spitz died, we'd never
even HEARD of them.

I went to my sister's house yesterday, and she has a Rottweiler. I always
thought  Cooper was a pretty big dog. Looking at  him yesterday, I could
only think of how SMALL he looked! <grin>

I can sympathize with Claire and her problems  with Athena's barking.
Trying to keep a dog from incessant barking is very difficult. Fortunately,
Newman barks VERY seldom. Of course, we also keep him inside at night, and
that's the most likely time that dogs bark, because they feel the necessity
to guard their property and people.  As I've commented before, our problems
with Newman revolve currently around keeping him from stealing stuff from
the house and taking it outside to chew up. We bought a shock collar--which
worked GREAT, because if we saw him snatch something up and run, we'd tell
him to  "Drop it!"...and if he didn't, we'd "beep" him...just a beep...no
shock. If he STILL didin't drop it, he got zapped.  He only had to be
zapped a few times before if he heard the beep, he'd drop it.  Most of the
time, he'd drop it when you said, "Drop it!".

However, the doggone collar quit WORKING! Arrrgghhh!  I told my husband I
thought Newman must've stuck his head in the toilet until he
short-circuited it.  We've got to get it fixed, though, because he really
needs his  "conscience". We're losing a LOT of socks, blouses, shoes...you
name it. Clean laundry that   I've just pulled out of the dryer is in dire
jeopardy, and I must admit, I'm NOT very quick at getting it folded and put
away. <sigh>