RE: [pyrnet] Pyr Barking -- "devil's advocate" was RE: pyrnet-l-digest.20011029

Geez...I hope this wasn't directed at me? Since mine was the last post on
the issue.
 I had no problems with Zeus barking for the noise factor. We have a farm
and the nearest neighbour on all sides is at least 50-200 acres away.

The problem was the aggression factor. I had to be able to defuse any
potentially aggressive situations, so Zeus had to be taught to respond to my
commands immediately, no matter what distraction's were around. Including,
come , down, quiet, ect. for the safety of others.
I was fully aware and OK with a Pyr's tendency to bark before I got one. If
not for the aggression, it would never have been an issue.
Sriena
===
> I have to play devil's-advocate and ask why one
> would own a Pyr if there's going to be a problem
> with barking?

Sue, I personally don't think there's any really good reason to own a Pyr
if you know ahead of time that it's barking is going to present a problem
in the future.  Many people look at Pyrs as a "status symbol", and often
they don't have a good breeder to advise them when they'll looking for a
dog.

--- Robyn Allwright
--- ziffanyrobyn@earthlink.net
--- Ziffany Great Pyrenees & Tibetan Ma