[pyrnet] Chat :Fwd: Paws to Read

In a message dated 12/1/2001 9:37:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, Pyralive writes:

Hi All
I wanted You to know about this program that  the NFGPC has been working on  to get approved for quite a while~~It basically is this~~Studies have shown that  low self-esteme, poor reading skills, ect..can usually be traced back to the early grades when the child was asked to stand in front of the class and  read !!-If a mistakewas made, if a word mis-pronouced, the child was made fun of , laughed at, by His/Her peers~~This is a very formative age in a child's life, the immpression is usually a lasting one~~~since the child was laughed at, reading becomes a chore, it is usually left behind, the child also withdraws from His/Her fellow class mates , so they develope very poorly on a social level~~~This program that We have  gotten started (with of course, the help of the Humane Society of Alachua County), is an extention of "PET THERAPY"~~the concept is very simple~~the teacher picks out several children that are poor readers~~they cannot be mentally or emotionally handicapped, just poor readers, and have not adjusted very well with their peers~~
the children meet with Us and our dogs, once a week, for approx. 1 semester~~the children are then re-tested to find out the level of progress that they have achieved~~~
This program was originally started in Utah~~with much sucess ~~
below are the details~~We need Your help~~this is another chance for our Club to "shine"~~We are being given the "right of first refusal" as our dogs are so very beautiful and well thought of~~We can now help a child !!

PLEASE CONTACT ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE !!!
THANK YOU,
PAMC
*********************************************Details below:::

Hello Everyone,
  This is a very exciting program!  I am so happy you are interested in piloting this project.  We need 3 volunteers with dogs and 2 back ups to fill in as needed.
Here are the details;

What:    Paws to Read Program
Where:    Lake Forest Elementary School        4401 SE 4 Ave Gainesville
Phone:    955-6710
Who:    Contact Principal Frank Burns (once we schedule the initial volunteers)
When:    9:15 - 10:45 am  (pick a day Monday-Friday)  We need a commitment of one day a week until June.  They would like us to start ASAP.

Just a reminder, everyone must be signed on as a Humane Society Volunteer and also as a school volunteer.  I have the forms at the office.  2029 NW 6 street or call me at 373-5855.  School dress code requires pants, no dresses or skirts as we will be on small chairs, bean bags or floor.  All dogs need to be current on vaccinations and have collars with tags.

Please contact me as soon as possible to get on board.  I am looking forward to working with you!
Sincerely,
Sandi Richmond