Re: [pyrnet] Wanted: PYR that is wonderful with children

Hi Robyn,

I wish I lived closer to Raleigh/Durham, as I think our Sugar would be a
wonderful visitor to this little girl.

And to the rest of the folks: My name is Suzanne Bell and have just adopted
(one week ago) a three-year-old female, Sugar, who needed a new home. Robyn
helped facilitate the first meeting and official hand-off. She is beautiful,
all white, very tall, and incredibly lovable. We will have an "open adoption"
which is really wonderful, as my family is traveling next week and we can't
take Sugar to all the grandparents' houses (3)! So her original family (who are
moving to a smaller home soon and needed to "downsize" their dog lot) are going
to keep her for us over Christmas! Even though my husband and I consider Sugar
our Christmas present, we think it's wonderful that she can spend Christmas
with her first family, then they will bring her back to us after Christmas, see
her new home in the N.C. mountains, and join us for a hike. (And see Sugar run
with our little half-pint dog Katie!). We also have two little girls; the
2-year-old  says, "Me no like Thugie [Sugie]" because this tall Pyr stands in
the way of the TV. But our 8-year-old adores her and walks her around the house
doing her chores and homework.
    One wrinkle: our 10-year-old Shih-Tzu/Lhasa is seriously guarding her turf
in my bedroom, now sleeping  back on the bed, and growls at Sugar. Sugar
sometimes simply won't acknowledge Bonsai; other times she lunges at her (until
we catch her by the collar, afraid of what will happen). Does she want to play,
to show dominance, or what, exactly? Sugar is indoors and sleeps mostly in our
bedroom doorway, without any problem. (Also bear in mind, if you take a stab at
this dilemma, that back in Sept. we had rescued a "street Pyr" who actually
attacked Bonsai and really did not like any little dogs. She is now in N.C. Pyr
Rescue with Martha Ruhmeyer in Winston-Salem.) How can we get Sugar and Bonsai
comfortable with one another?

Thanks for letting be brag and finally feel like a full member of the list! And
thanks for any suggestions and help on the little dog's fears.

Suzanne Bell