[pyrnet] Re: bark collars

At 12:01 AM 12/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>did we ever have the discussion about electronic no-bark collars? do they
>work on pyrs? i'd love to be able to leave Mellow outside in the cold
weather
>that he adores but i cant have the barking in a residential neighborhood.
>what do you think, all my pyr expert friends?

I've been meaning to follow up on my message from six weeks ago about my
Pyr, Athena's, barking. Many people were helpful with suggestions.

After reading the messages, I went to PetsMart with the intention of
getting a citronella collar. Gasping at the cost ($150 + $13 or so for
citronella cylinders), I went with a six-level shock collar ($50). I shaved
a patch of fur on Thena's throat and gave the collar a try.

I regret to say it's had virtually no effect. She simply barks right
through it. Thinking it might not be working, I tried it on my own neck and
imitated a Pyr. Ouch. I can verify that the collar works just fine. She
simply doesn't notice or care. Or perhaps she's figured out that if she
barks enough (16 times in 50 seconds, I think it is), she'll trigger the
collar's safety shut off.

I'm at wits end. In the best of times I couldn't afford a $150 experiment
on the citronella collar, and these aren't the best of times. Every time I
look at beautiful Thena, I adore her. Every time I *listen* to her, I'm
ready to ...

Claire