Re: [pyrnet] shock collars and calling dogs

i think i will try the citronella collar first and see how that goes. i saw
one yesterday in a doggy catalog (i get soooo many of those).
  as far as coming when called is concerned, when i first got mellow i
practiced with him a zillion times a day and ALWAYS gave him some food when
he came to me. i would stand and use a motion of my arm sweeping from out to
my right, back against my body and say in my perkiest voice, "COME!" and look
VERY happy.  when he would turn or even start toward me i would say "good
boy, come"  again and then when he gets to me he sits in front of me and gets
his treat. we "practice"  this informally still at different times, never
more than once.  i may be anywhere in the house or yard and i will say his
name and call him and then reward him. after i grab his collar and give him
the food i release him to go and do what he wants.  i guess i am a fanatic
about this because i also have to rescue greyhounds and there is NO WAY to
get a grey back that wont come, these dogs accelerate to 43 miles per hour in
4 strides!  i have practiced with the greys also almost every day.  i dont
know if it would work if they were to be chasing a cat or squirrel but i dont
use it then because i dont believe in asking a dog to do something you KNOW
he wont do and then it proves to them that they dont have to do it when you
cant enforce it. so far it has worked for both greys and pyrs even in the
fenced ballfield where i let them lose to run. but so far, ha ha, doesnt mean
i trust them one hair's worth, though! i always think of it as a 'better than
nothing' measure.