[pyrnet] Pumpkin

Thank you for that suggestion for the pumpkin. I'll have to try it!
His problem with diarrhea isn't constant, just frequent. He has lost
a sense of anal tone, I think, as he will defecate as he is walking.
Poor boy (poor me).

I don't know about you all, but so often my trips to the vet are head
scratchers. They just don't seem to know what it wrong and have to
make educated guesses on the problems. About a year and a half ago,
he just flat out would not get up. He just lay there on the ground
and if asked to support his weight, would just collapse and look at
me. We carried him on a stretcher to the vets. He walked like and
old, old dog when they got him to stand at all. He stayed at the vet,
they did tests and I paid a few hundred. Basically, they thought he
was getting old and I should just take him home to live out his
remaining days. He walked heavily to the van and we hoisted him in.
When he arrived at home, in the front yard, he lifted his head and
took a few steps, a few more, a few more and I had not seen him even
walk unassisted for a couple weeks like he was doing. I don't know-he
suddenly got this sense that the winds had changed or something and
began to recover his will to move and get around. Within a week, he
was his old self.

If I had to make an educated guess, I might think he had Lyme (we
have had to deal with ticks in Texas and here in quantity despite
collars) and this was an episode. Or he may have had a subluxation
affecting his shoulder. He was on a medication for his aches,
arthritic problems, inflammations (steroids) and that seemed to help,
but that was to be short term. Does anyone have suggestions on food
types or additives that can help degenerative problems (arthritis,
etc)?

Oh yes, we also had the nightmare bout between the 2 dogs (Jack and
Siri) with mange. We have foxes come into our yard frequently, and
apparently one picked it up from the fox and passed it to the other.
Auuggghhhh. Luckily, thart was a couple years ago--no more mange.

Sue and Siri-pup pup in Fairfax County, Virginia (former horse country)