Re: [pyrnet] "Cool dogs"

----- Original Message -----
From: Amy Bailey
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2002 7:35 PM
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] "Cool dogs"

Valentino is gorgeous!   How lucky for all of you that you found each other!

Amy

Thank you! He is a beautiful little boy. Timid, yet wanting human contact so very badly. We are not sure what his true story is. As he simply turned up on the doorstep of someone with pyrs. Although malnourished and frightened he was in relatively good shape. But their dogs would not accept him. So he ended up in rescue. He has definitely been abused. He flinches if you raise your hand near him. And a verbal scolding just crushes him. And he runs to the safety of his crate. Which stands open in our livingroom. It is his safe zone. Squeaky toys freak him out. And he also runs at the sight of the broom. Poor baby has definitely had a rough start. But we are watching him slowly bloom in the knowledge that we love him. And would never do anything to hurt him. He used to be afraid of getting in the car. We think because he thought we would take him somewhere and abandon him. But he is slowly getting over that. We are taking him lots of places and are working on socializing him with other people and animals. He is really great with our three cats. And their reaction to him has been very interesting. Normally they are leery of new dogs. When Beau first came to us Bella Donna (our pixiebob) was highly offended. And maintained her outrage for several months. She is the smallest of our animals. But is also the alpha animal in the house. The other animals call her sir. But when Valentino got here she sniffed him and let him be. He was clearly a pyr. And that seemed good enough for her. And our two boy cats accepted him immediately as well. And our little mutt girl is delighted to have a brother who will actually play with her. They are such clowns in the yard. Val being twice Ruby's weight will occasionally knock her on her can. But she gets right back up and goes back for more. He brings us such joy.
Marie, Valentino and angel Beau