Re: [pyrnet] Standard Q:

In a message dated 1/6/02 3:33:02 PM Eastern Standard Time, merrirfave@icehouse.net writes:

84 cent question - - Lashes and color. If a Pyr is all white should it have
all white eyelashes? Should it have black nails? If a Pyr is colored should
it have black lashes, or mixed, lashes or white lashes? What are the judges
looking for according to standard?

Thanks for any input,
Mer

All the above.  Barbs answer was quite good, but I have seen white lashes on dogs with color around the eyes.  Standard does not really cover these very fine points and judges mostly have no clue.  Good pigment, black, is what is needed in a basically white dog.  We all prize our pigment aside from the obvious coat, at the mouth, eyes, nose, roof of mouth, belly spots and skin spots.  You also see color in undercoat separate from guard coat and sometime the undercoat will have a less than brite white cast to it as well, which means your Pyr will never look as snow white as someone else's.  I suspect the genetics of the skin color is seperate from the coat color, but that is pure speculation.  Maybe someone else knows.

Joe