Re: [pyrnet] Barf diet?

For those interested in learning more about feeding a BARF diet here are a
few starting points:

www.rawmeatybones.com
www.barfers.com
http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

Some books on the subject:

Give your Dog a Bone by Dr Ian Billinghurst (Vet) - his first book and a
good intro to the concept
Grow Your Pups With Bones by Dr Ian Billinghurst - a fantastic book for
breeders
The BARF Diet by Dr Ian Billinghurst - his newest book.  I havent read it
yet

Raw Meaty Bones by Dr Tom Lonsdale (Vet) - an excellent new book. Tom's
website is also listed above.

Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats: The Ulitmate Diet by Kymythy Schultze
(Nutritionist and Newfoundland breeder) - Very good inexpensive 'starter'
book particularly for those in the US.

<<I eat meat but if I have to deal with parts of it that resemble the
original
animal too much, I tend to have a vegetable night while my family enjoys the
meal. >>Amy

I have  a number of vegetarian friends who feed a BARF diet to their pets.
The way they explain it to me is that they recognise their obligation in
owning carnivores as pets to feed them that way and as they want to feed
them in the healthiest way they can, BARF is their choice.  I think there is
an email list specifically for vegetarians who feed a raw diet to their pets
although I don't know how active it is.  You will find it listed at the
barfers.com website.

<< I have read elsewhere that the practice of giving raw bones has also been
questioned by some vets. I think I read that the jaws and teeth/digestion(?)
of dogs have changed quite a bit and raw bones were no longer
recommended.>>Sue

Someone better tell the Australian Veterinary Association that then as they
recommend feeding bones to dogs! LOL!  But then Australia has been less
subject to the commercial overload by conglomerates only interested in
selling dog food and convincing people that they are the only ones who can
feed their dogs properly.  Dogs of all breeds, types and sizes are capable
of eating a natural raw meaty bones diet.  Evolution does not work that fast
that it can completely change something like a digestive system in such a
short time.  Dogs and Wolves are also scientifically classified as the same
species (dogs are Canis Lupus Familiaris).  Name a breed and I could
probably within a day find someone feeding their dog(s) this way that you
could talk to.

I have been feeding my own dogs this way for about 8 years now.

Tracy Bassett
Murrumbateman, Australia
espinay@bigpond.com
www.smartgroups.com/groups/BARFPyrs