Re: [pyrnet] Strokes and heart attacks.

> I had a dog that died of a stroke.  She died of an embolism in the brain
> which is a sort of stroke.

My Wolfhound's father died last January (at almost 9 which is great for a
Wolfhound.)  The woman (from Belgium) who told me about it said that it was
an "embola" and caused him to be completely paralyzed.  My vet said that it
was a kind of stroke.

 What dogs do not have is
> heart attacks as we humans think of heart attacks.  They do not have
> myocardial infarctions.  When dogs die of heart problems it is most always
> due to some sort of disease or, more commonly, a heart defect.

Please clarify.  My sheltie/poodle mix had congestive heart failure.  The
morning he died, we found him face and chest pressed to the floor.  Hard to
explain what it looked like but we were sure that he was having a heart
attack.  He died before we got him to the emergency vet.  His heart didn't
just stop.  It appeared to be a violent sort of event.

--- Stephanie, Ciaran, Anais & Maggie
--- srwhitney1@earthlink.net