Re: [pyrnet] Fwds. from Vet as promised on Strokes and heart attacks.

In a message dated 2/10/02 9:08:10 AM Eastern Standard Time, bamb@monmouth.com writes:

<<
Strokes are the result of a burst blood vessel or aneurism in the brain.
Damage is often profound and recovery is long-term. Vestibular syndrome is
thought to be due to cerebravascular accidents, which are due to
microthromboemboli (tiny blood clots) which lodge in the capillaries of the
brain, and cause an ischemic episode. Recovery is rapid. >>

Cerebravascular accidents aka CVA is the medical term for stroke, so I do not know how the definition could be so tightly interpreted to exclude emboli.  Emboli are a classic cause of stroke as well as the aneurysm.  This is a play on words.  The end result is paralysis and other more global central nervous system problems secondary to the "insult" to the blood supply to that area of the brain.  CAll it what ever they want to classify it, it is the what is being discussed.  Sometimes the emboli are not so "micro" as well.

Emboli also cause heart attacks.  So I guess they think a dog cannot have an emboli either.

Joe