[pyrnet] anthropomorphizing and so forth

I'll bet that was a sight.  You need to have a digital camera handy for
these occasions.  :)

Gerry

Yeah, I know, but I still would've been too slow!

How 'bout this - Yesterday I washed 11 goats for a client in my dog grooming
van.

I am now, as well as a dog groomer, a goat groomer.  Nothing like being
multi skilled

Anyone got any sheep they want washed?  How bout a chook or two?

Okay...what's a chook?

Ahhh, yes, the wall.  Like giving advice to requests for information on the
Pyr list, plus then having to endure the retorts that make this offered
information somehow sinister.  We learn pretty quick on the list that
requests for information sometimes is very selective i.e. it should read
"request for information I want to hear and the rest is not appreciated."

Joe

Yep, I learned very quickly, Joe. I won't ever ask for advice again unless it's off-list to someone I know is capable of looking out of more than one window.

_________________

On anthropomorphizing:

I grew up in the country and we had animals of all kinds. I practically worship the Arabian horse. To me, an Arab is like a Pyr is to many of you. THE breed. I haven't had a Pyr long enough to know if they are that different from other dogs. So far, Newman seems pretty special. But then, so was Madion, our Spitz. For someone who is not a breeder and doesn't have experience with a particular breed in volume, so to speak, it's impossible. for me to tell if it is a "breed thing" or merely an individual animal being special. Cat owners feel the same way about cats and give them human characteristics. I don't necessarily think of them as "human" characteristics, but rather that dogs (and cats) are much more adaptable than humans. They are able to re-adjust their instinctual urges and normal characteristics in order to fit into our human lifestyles, whereas we wouldn't do as well fitting into theirs. I do know that both dogs and cats are a great deal more intelligent than people (who aren't pet people) think. Humans tend to anthropomorphize because frankly...it's fun. And it's true. Dogs and cats HAVE qualities that are much like humans...and they acquire others as they live with us. I do believe that when a person has a family, their animals may take second place. I know that if I had to have a choice of shooting one of my children or my husband or the dog, the dog would lose. I'm sorry, but that's the way it is. If it's different for others on this list, it just is. But at the same time, if I can possibly afford to give my dog the best possible care, I will (neutering or not neutering notwithstanding).  My co-workers smile at me indulgently as I talk more about my dog than I do about my kids...but hey...my kids aren't babies anymore and the dog is a lot cuter than they are. If my kids were in the home and needed me still, and the dog was here at the same time, I'd be talking MORE about the kids, but also about the dog.  All of them are important to me, but just in different ways.

For me dogs are not human, not even barely.  They are different beings.  Not
us.  It is one of those things that makes them so amazing and interesting to
live with.  They have their own reactions, needs, responses that arise from
them being *dogs* and not pseudo humans.  It is a rare privilege to share
life and space with another species.  I am adding here my favorite quote
that speaks to what I feel:

||| Notes from The Outermost House
by Henry Beston

....For the animal shall not be measured by the man. In a world older and
more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with
extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we
shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are
other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow
prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. |||

Linda

I have to agree wholeheartedly with this. I always feel privileged to have the love of a dog. It is always completely limitless, and you do somehow know that they are not really "inferior", but merely different, perhaps alien to your own being, yet nonetheless a part of you.

___________

Just got back from the vets. It's not mange, thank goodness. However,
no one knows--could be an allergy that led to some impetigo like
spots and hair loss. Got some cephalexin and oatmeal shampoo. Going
to try some aloe vera as a topical skin mopisturizer (unless someone
has a better idea for dry skin where he is bald.

Sue, well, I'm glad it's not mange. I keep watching Newman carefully to make sure his isn't recurring.

Olympia (pyr/kuvasz rescue) has developed a fascination with opening and
closing doors.  She loves to play in the bathroom with the several doors
that can be found there.  She especially enjoys cocking her head at the
squeaks that may emerge and experimenting with sounds and movement.
Unfortunately, she often closes herself in and then can't get back out.
This will remain cute as long as she doesn't figure out cupboards and
refrigerators as I know some of yours have.

Pam, we had to put child proof catches on all our cabinets so that Newman couldn't get in. He hasn't yet learned how to open doors, although he KNOWS the doorknob is somehow responsible.  He bumps them with his nose all the time.

The feature/tool should look like a graph with a diagonal line from lower
left to upper right.  Grab the right end and edge it down a bit.  I
usually also grab a point about 20% from the bottom and raise it a bit.

David

Thanks, David. I'll keep that in mind when Im working with my pics.