Re: [pyrnet] First Pyr

In a message dated 03/12/2002 4:32:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, LMoore6@cinci.rr.com writes:

The estimate on her age was three years old but after having her
for four months we noticed that a tooth was coming in on her lower jaw
toward the front. dose this happen in adult dogs at this age or is she a
younger dog ? Everyone said we should have her dew claws removed since we
weren't going to show her. Is this the proper thing to do ? The last
question is about feed. How much dry feed and how often once a day or twice
a day ? Thanks to all for reading this.
Larry,  Becky  &  Mollie

Congratulations on getting Mollie. It's very good of you to take her in.
You'll hear from far more knowledgeable people than I on the list, but on your questions here goes.
I would not remove the dew claws. They are part of the breed standard, and no danger to your dog. I'm not that knowledgeable about puppies, I have one which is 8 months, and seems to have all of his adult teeth, and I've never noticed any new teeth in either of our adults.
On feeding, I free feed, and have never had a weight problem with my pyrs. Adult pyrs eat surprising little for a dog of their size. If you feed a premium food, it could be as little as 3 cups per day in the summer. Don't worry if she doesn't seem to eat much at first, when we brought our female Bella home at 8 months, she wouldn't eat at all, I took her to the vet several times during the first few weeks because it worried me, but she eventually came around.
Charlie